As the name suggest it is a platform for sharing information in a well-mannered way so that communication is proper in a team. It is a Microsoft product that delivers all the functionality for content management, Content Sharing, Content Rating, Content Tagging etc… The most important features of this product is its integration with MS Office Suite. UI is similar to MS office Ribbon. It can be integrated with SSRS to generate a handful of management reports.
Important Sales facts of MS SharePoint
- SharePoint is one of the fastest growing Microsoft product suits; Its USP is that UX is similar to MS Office which by itself is the largest used software.
- 78% of Fortune 500 companies use SharePoint.
- Microsoft sold over 36.5 million user licenses between 2006 and 2011
Scope of SharePoint can be divided between these broad categories.
- Code Development: These are the development capabilities of SharePoint
- Intranet portals
- Document & file management
- Social networks
- Enterprise search,
- Business intelligence.
- System integration,
- Process integration
- Workflow automation
- Support: – It is an important aspect in our software industry. Every Client needs support from its IT vendor after the product goes live. SharePoint Architecture is built in such a way that a minimal effort is required on maintenance and support after delivery. Thus decreasing the running cost of the module.
- Mobile Application. :- This area needs special attention as mobile is the future of software application. Scope of mobile functionalities in SharePoint are
1) Out of The Box Mobile Views, 2) Framework Solution, 3 ) Responsive Design, 4 ) Mobile Web Apps, and 5 ) Native Device App
Address the Business Needs
- Addresses business pain points
- Project Management
Advantages of SharePoint
- Technical skill requirement is minimal
- Easily define relevant access (Security Features)
- If deployed appropriately, IT support requires minimal support.
- Enhance Communication
- Automate Business Processes
- Generate Relevant Reports
- Integrate with Existing LOB Systems